In this episode, a parent writes in with questions about implementing a meal schedule for her young toddler. Her son constantly asks for food, and it is leading to a lot of grazing throughout the day. This parent is concerned that her son doesn't understand the concept of waiting until the next meal or snack, and that maybe her son is indeed hungry in between the meals she is serving. She explains the struggles she is having with trying to stick to a meal schedule, and describes some methods she has taken in the hope of some new ideas.
What You'll Learn About in This Episode:
- The importance of a meal schedule for kids from a developmental perspective.
- How structure can help with your toddler's boundary pushing behaviors.
- Ways scheduled meals can help set up much needed boundaries for your child.
- Why your child may take up the habit of grazing and how and why to prevent this from happening.
- Some techniques on how to communicate timing of meals within the schedule with your child.
- How to know if your child is eating enough during meal times.
- How you can provide the structure around meal times that leads to successful eating behaviors during meals.